Chicken lollipops are chicken drumettes or wingettes or thighs that are cut and hand-molded to make them look like lollipops.
You will find them in most Chinese restaurants and they are a perfect complement to any noodle dish or fried rice. Heck, they are even good as a main dish all by itself or as an appetizer.
How do you make Chicken Lollipops?
Most of the work is in the preparation of the chicken. You can make chicken lollipops out of chicken thighs or wings.
I personally prefer thighs because they are meatier and you can easily make lollipops by just pushing the meat on one end.
Don’t worry if you only have chicken wings as they too can be used.
If you look closely, a chicken wing has two joints. It’s kinda like an arm, it has a joint on its “elbow” and another on its “wrist”.
First, cut the wings on those two joints and discard the wingtips. All you have now are wingettes and drumettes.
Next, make an incision around the thinner end to detach the meat from any tendon. You can now push the meat and skin towards the thicker end and hand-mold it to resemble a lollipop.
☞ Hold the chicken at an angle on the table. That way, it makes it easier to push the meat towards the thicker end.
Finally, dip the chicken in egg and roll them in a plate of breadcrumbs. They are now ready for deep frying.
☞ Egg helps to make the breadcrumbs stick to the chicken lollipops
Chicken and marinade
- 1 lb (500 g) Chicken drumettes
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
Prepare and marinate chicken lollipops
- Score the skin around the bone to cut loose the meat
- Holding at an angle, push and scrape the meat off the bone towards the thick end.
- Place the lollipops in a bowl. Add white pepper, garlic powder and soy sauce.
- Massage the marinade into the chicken until well-coated.
- Chill and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Coat the chicken lollipops
- Prepare 3 bowls. In the first bowl, combine the flour, garlic powder, onion powder and salt. In the 2nd bowl, beat the egg. In the 3rd bowl, pour panko bread crumbs
- Dredge the each lollipop, starting with the flour mixture. Then dip into the egg and lastly in bread crumbs.
Fry the chicken lollipops
- Heat the oil in a pan and deep-fry chicken in batches until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels or wire rack for a few minutes.
- Serve with ketchup and/or mayonnaise.