Ground chicken is a great alternative to pork or beef. It has a lighter taste and is leaner, meaning less fat and therefore less calories. Check out this healthier protein substitute featured in this recipe.
What ingredients do I need?
The main ingredient is ground chicken. You can easily find them pre-packed in your local grocery or better yet, you can prepare it yourself with the use of a meat grinder.
Nowadays, a meat grinder is fast becoming a necessity in every kitchen. With its different blades, you can use it to grind any meat for everyday cooking. You can use it to make sausages and burger patties. You can even use it to grind vegetables if needed.
Preparing your own ground chicken to gives you the added benefit of hand picking the quality of meat you feed your family. Something that you just can’t get by picking up a pre-packaged ground meat in the grocery.
If you want it lean, pick skinless chicken breasts to grind. Or throw in some boneless chicken thighs if you want a more richer chicken taste.
Other ingredients are string beans, sweet peppers, ginger, garlic, soy sauce and Hoisin seasoning.
How to prepare Ground chicken with String beans
Cooking this dish is super easy and fast. All you need to do is fry the string beans and set aside for later. You then sauté the ground chicken with ginger and garlic. Add in the seasoning and water. Finally, add the peppers and string beans and simmer in low heat.
Tips in Cooking Ground Chicken
If you are like me who loves it as lean as possible, here are a few things to consider when cooking lean chicken.
Tip #1 Leaner meat has less fat and therefore contains less moisture. To avoid drying you need to add water and some liquid seasoning.
Tip #2 Low fat content in ground chicken means that it dries out faster compared to ground beef or pork. Cook it in low heat.
Tip #3 Use seasoning to add to the taste. Lean ground chicken has very little taste on its own. Liquid seasoning like Hoisin and soy sauce will help bring out some flavor to your dish.
Ground Chicken with String Beans
- 1/2 lb string beans
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsps oil
- 3 pcs sweet peppers
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ginger minced
- 1/4 cup water
Prepare the ingredients
- a. Slice open the sweet peppers, remove the seeds and cut into small pieces.
- b. Peel garlic and mince.
- c. Peel ginger and finely mince.
- d. Remove the tips of the string beans and cut into 1 1/2 length.
Fry the green beans
- a. Heat the wok or pan and add oil. Turn the pan side to side (swish motion) to spread the oil over the bottom of the pan.
- b. Add the string beans and fry until the skin starts to wrinkle.
- c. Transfer to a plate and set aside
Cook the ground chicken
- a. In the same pan, add the ginger, and garlic and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- b. Add the ground chicken. Break up any lumps and stir-fry for about 3 minutes.
- c. Add soy sauce, hoisin sauce, water, sweet peppers and the fried string beans.
- Simmer until sauce is mostly absorbed.
Leave a Reply